Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sometimes You Have to Plant Cantaloupe

I know, I know, I know.  You're thinking, "Really?  Plant cantaloupe?  It's January!".  But yes, it's true!  Sometimes, you do have to plant cantaloupe.  Maybe I should explain...

It all started one hot summer day several years ago.  I was lying on the couch trying to recover from a cesarean section and was feeling rather sorry for myself that I wasn't able to just jump up and do whatever I wanted.

My dad, who has a registered nursing degree, had come over to spend the day with me to help me with my new little one. 

As I painfully got up to walk (or should I say creep?) to the kitchen, I sighed.  Dad took one look at my face and could tell there was something wrong.  "I know I shouldn't complain about the way I feel when there are people much worse off than I am, but Dad.... I don't think I'm ever going to feel better.  I'm going to be stuck on the couch for the rest of my life."

Dad, with all his professional care giving experience, tried to suppress a grin.  He assured me that I most certainly would feel better and would most definitely not be stuck on the couch for the rest of my life. 

Then, he told me a story that has stuck with me ever since. 

As Dad settled back in his chair, he began his story.  "I remember the day you were born.  I had never been around many babies before and you were so little, tiny, and precious.  I was afraid you might break.  The first night you were home, I sat up all night watching you to make sure you were still breathing.  I even woke you up to eat when you didn't wake up at your feeding times."  He grimaced, "Your mother didn't appreciate me waking you up to much."  He continued on, "Before you were born, I had worried about your mother and prayed for her health during the delivery.  To top everything off, times were hard and money was tight.  About a week after you came home, I found I had landed myself in the hospital with a bleeding ulcer.  After a week, I was released and got to come home." 

He stopped at this point and took a good hard look at me.  He said, "I came home to you and your mother and felt like death.  But, when I looked at you girls, I realized that no matter how bad I felt, I had to keep going."

"Before I got sick, I had bought seeds and started planting our garden.  I was ready to plant the next thing on the list, which happened to be cantaloupe.  So, out I went, and barely crawling along on my hands and knees,  I mounded up the dirt, and planted those cantaloupe."

I sat staring at him.  "Goodness Dad!  Do you really think that was the best thing for you to do?"  He shrugged and said, "It doesn't matter if it was the best thing or not.  It had to be done."  Then he gave me a long look.  "Sometimes, you just have to keep going."

This story has changed my life in so many ways.  At times when I am struggling, or feel overwhelmed, I see Dad out there, pale and thin, crawling along, doing what needed to be done.  He just kept going.  He could have laid in bed, probably should have laid in bed, but instead, he chose to hold his head up, throw his shoulders back, and keep going.  He had cantaloupe to plant. 

So, what about you?  Do you have cantaloupe to plant?  We all have times where we have problems or situations that seem to completely overwhelm us.  Be strong, keep going, and start planting. 


This is my Dad and I on the farm where I grew up.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I don't feel good either, so this was a lovely pick me up! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome Lindsey! I was hoping this would put a smile on someone's face! Mission accomplished!

      Delete